Monastery of San Juan de los Reyes
This monastery was founded by the Catholic Monarchs in 1476 with two well-defined objectives. The first was to commemorate the victory obtained in the battle of Toro, in which they defeated the Portuguese supporters of Juana la Beltraneja, who aspired to wrest the throne of Castile. The second objective was to use the monastery as its place of burial, an objective that was discarded before the opposition of the Cabildo Toledo, finally being monarchs buried in Granada.
The works began in 1477 under the direction of Juan Guas, who happened to him after his soon death Simon of Colonia and Enrique Egas. The works can be finished after the construction of the staircase of the cloisters, made by Alonso de Covarrubias, and the porch of the church, drawn by Nicolas de Vergara the Elder and completed by Juan Bautista Monegro in 1606.
The monastery was badly damaged at the beginning of century XIX, during War of the Independence, being finally restored in 1883 by Arturo Mélida.
Source: Jesús-José Cerdeño Vozmediano