The Alcantara Bridge

The Alcantara Bridge

Not until many years ago was the Arab origin of this bridge, dating to later in Roman times historians like Rodrigo A. De los Ríos, and coming to confirm more recent studies. The Romans selected the most suitable place, since this is one of the points where the river presents smaller width as it passes through the city. It had in its origins three arches, although from a very old one the one of the left shore is believed to have been destroyed during the offensive carried out by the Cordovan emir Muhammad I in the year 858. In the middle of the tenth century, and after a new Siege, this time in charge of Abderramán III, was rebuilt by order of this one. The primitive arch was replaced by the wall we see today, possibly due to the insufficiency of the media of the time. Only a small access was left that would allow the passage to the other side.

In 1258, during the reign of Alfonso X, the viaduct returned to suffer serious damages, this time provoked by an important flood of the river, ordering the monarch its immediate repair.

During the Middle Ages, in addition to its defensive function, the bridge is used to control the goods that flooded the city and toll works, as witnessed by an inscription still preserved in its inner turret, which reads: “They are free from Tip the neighbors of Toledo and its mountains and the places of jurisdiction “

In 1484 the inner turret was built, the same being done in 1721 with the exterior, after demolishing an existing one without our knowing the reasons with certainty. The old municipal ordinances established the opening of their doors by ringing the bells of the nearby convent of the Conceptionists, and they must be closed at the touch of the Cathedral’s Hail Mary.

Finally it was declared National Monument by Real Order the 21 of December of 1921.

Source: Jesús-José Cerdeño Vozmediano