Sephardic Museum-Transit Synagogue
The first reference written on the building appears at the beginning of the 15th century, when the synagogue is consecrated to the Christian cult, although it is true that the temple could be built in the 13th century, or even according to some diggers in the XII.
In the year 1550, one of the most famous presides that have occupied the Toledo chair, Cardinal Silicon, turned the synagogue into a shelter for women of dubious life. Such a charitable establishment was known as the refuge of penance. In the middle of the 17th century this function was abolished, as the number of women staying was considerably reduced, so the building remained as the hermitage of the Virgen Blanca until 1791.
From this year the sanctuary was destined to barracks, being restored in 1798 to present serious threat of ruin. The following consists of its use as a military warehouse and the royal treasury. It was finally restored in 1851.
The dedication of Santa María la Blanca is due to the preservation of an image of this one, a copy of the cathedral Choir, to the secularization of the temple in 1791.
As a curiosity we will add that it was burned in 1391, the result of the clashes with the Jewish people.
The content of the museum’s exhibition reaches the present day, emphasizing the exile and development of the different Hebrew communities throughout the world.
It can be visited from Tuesday to Saturday from 09:30 to 19:30 (in November, December, January and February, the closing is ahead at 18:00), and Sundays and holidays from 10:00 to 15:00.