Originally placed under the patronage of St. John the Baptist, and popularly known as the outside Hospital for its extramural situation. Such a situation was due to the municipal ordinances of the time, which prohibited the construction of buildings destined for healing purposes within the urban centre. The work is the foundation of Cardinal Juan Pardo Tavera, of whom the hospital took its popular name. The construction began in the year 1541, being Alonso de Covarrubias the first to drive the factory. In the middle of the 16th century Covarrubias gave the command to the until then rigger, Hernán González de Lara, who guided the works until his death in 1577. It happened then Nicolás de Vergara the waiter, leaving imprint of his particular work in the Church of the hospital, where the founder was buried.
At present the property houses a primary school, as well as the archives of nobility.
It was finally declared a national monument by Royal Order on December 21st, 1921. We can see the Hospital of Tavera in many famous films.
Source: Jesús-José Sardinia Vozmediano
DATOS DE CONTACTO
CARRETERA CM-4000. Km 0.7 (Toledo a Puebla de Montalban) Toledo TOLEDO 45004
EL TIEMPO EN TOLEDO
High 9°/Low -1°
Probabilidad de lluvia
High 10°/Low 4°
SÍGUENOS EN FACEBOOK
Este sitio utiliza cookies para su correcto funcionamiento. Si continuas navegando entendemos que aceptas nuestra